What is an EDC Pack? (EDC is short for EveryDay Carry ). An EDC pack is like a miniature version of a bug out bag. An EDC pack is the items that you might use everyday for a normal activity, or to get through an emergency. These kits very greatly from person to person, depending on the specific needs of each person. For example, my EDC pack consists of a knife, flashlight, lighter, 100 dollars cash, and a multi tool. These are the items I almost always have on me, using some of them multiple times a day. Now this is different from a get home bag, the main difference is that an EDC kit is for daily use, while a get home bag just gets you home safely. Both can be used in an emergency, but one is more for daily activities than getting home. For example, if I am going to a baseball or football game I might leave some items in the car or adjust it slightly. If I was going camping or hiking, then I would expand it slightly, most likely including a firearm. Here is an example of a common EDC list:
- flashlight- Useful for navigating in the nighttime or in a dim room during the day. Can also be used for signaling.
- knife- Can be used for self defense or daily activities (rope cutting)
- cash- Always good to have cash, because cash is accepted everywhere
- aspirin/advil/ibuprofen- Good to reduce pain and swelling of an injury, or just for a headache
- lighter- Good for fire, sterilizing items
- firearm- When allowed, good for self defense
- foodbar/water packet- useful for an energy boost
- multitool- can be used in a car breakdown, in an office, or anywhere
Like previously mentioned, this kit can very and doesn’t have to be large. The only recommendation that I would make is if you don’t want to have an EDC pack, then at least carry a knife or pepper spray. With the world becoming increasingly dangerous, its important to always have a way to defend yourself. A knife can also be useful for other activities other than self defense through the course of a normal day.