A lot of discussion about emergency situations and safety involve guns. Guns are considered the best weapon for self defense, a weapon that most people are able to use. When considering guns for an emergency, a couple of things that arise are cost and power. The shotgun is debatably one of the best emergency gun, for several reasons:
- Low cost: Shotguns can be very cheap, with many quality models being around 200-300 dollars. This is very cheap for a gun, especially when AR15s and rifles costs at least 2 times as much.
- Different rounds: Shotguns can shoot a couple different kinds of rounds, making them even more useful. They can shoot slugs (single bullet) or buckshot (around 9 round bullets). There are all kinds of variations in between these 2 rounds, with large or small bullets available. The fact that they can shoot multiple rounds makes more places more likely to have a round that can be fired from a shotgun.
- Power: Shooting a 3 inch shotgun slug can pack enough power to punch through a car door, a regular door, some body armor, and can take down almost any animal. In addition to a slug, a 00 buckshot can also do insane damage.
- Simple: Shotguns are reality simple, with there not being very many parts. A shot guns is easy to unjam and clean, making it a valuable buy.
- Variety: There are many different kinds of shotguns, involving different length of barrels, smooth or rifled barreled, pump action, or semiautomatic.
Given all of these perks, here is the ideal shotgun that works for me, one which is in my emergency kit, it includes: a 18.5 inch barrel, smooth bore barrel, 6 round capacity, pistol grip and normal stock, and is loaded with 2.75 in slugs and 00 military grade buckshot. This means that the barrel is shot to allow me to navigate hallways and in structures, my round is strong enough for most encounters, and i have a pistol grip if i need to shoot from the waist only. This setup isn’t for everyone, but for me its perfect. My recommendation, get a shotgun for all emergencies.