Protecting yourself is important in emergency situations and in everyday life. With crime occurring in every city in the world, its important to have an item to defend yourself with should you be attacked by someone. There are numerous self defense items available, but it doesn’t have to be expensive to save your life. These items below would be perfect to carry around everyday of put into an emergency kit.
Self Defense Items:
- Pepper Spray- These often come in small sizes that can easily fit into a pocket or a purse. Although not able to be carried everywhere, the majority of places wont have a problem with it. Once the pepper spray is used, it will allow the victim to run to safety while the attacker is temporarily blinded.
- Whistle- Although it might seem like it wouldn’t be necessary, a whistle can alert other people around you to a dangerous person. Many criminals don’t like attention or more than one person being involved so if they think there is a chance of attention they will most likely run.
- Taser- This item is perfect for those who want a little more protection than average, but not a lethal option. A taser is perfect for stunning an attacker and giving you time to run away. It is also a visual deterrent because of the fear of being shocked and the menacing sound that a taser makes.
- Small object- This could be anything from a rock to a pen to whatever you might have on you at the time. If you truly don’t have any weapon, attacking your attacker with whatever you might have will be better than nothing.
- Gun- This is by far the most lethal and effective weapon when it comes to self defense. A gun is both a visual deterrent and a way to take down even the biggest attacker. The problem with a gun is the legal aspect of having to use it, along with the restrictions of where it can go. If a gun is your choice, there are 4 main ammo rounds for self defense (most common).
9mm- This is the most common round for self defense. This round is cheap to acquire and there are many models of 9mm handguns to chose from. Although a 9mm might not seem like the strongest round, with modern hollow point technology, a 9mm will be excellent for self defense.
38 special- This was the favorite round of police for years, being both effective and easy to conceal in a small pistol. Similar to the power of a 9mm, this round is also effective when using a hollow point of + P ammo.
357- This round is extremely powerful but is not for the everyday shooter. Due to the strength, it might be harder to place several shots in a row into a target. With the right practice, this round can be very efficient, often with 1 hit taking down a target. This round is not as common, and is found in many revolvers more than standard semi-auto pistols.
45- Almost as common as the 9mm, the 45 is a very strong round. In a reputable gun such as the 1911, the 45 be extremely effective. The only downside in most situations is the amount of bullets in the magazine would be less than the 9mm.
Staying safe from attackers is essential in life, so having some extra self defense gear might make the difference between life and death.