Self defense and personal safety is important when dealing with an emergency situation. Depending on the situation, people can get more upset and might be quicker to overreact. Also, when emergencies present themselves, people panic, which can also lead to anger and violence. Protecting your family, gear, and overall health can be a hard thing. Below is a list of potential items that could keep you safe:
- Firearm- the most effective way to protect yourself is with a gun, which will deter any sane person from attempting to harm you. A gun can also be used from a distance, minimizing the chance for a close up fight. The issue being able to legally carry a gun, and depending on the situation, could result in criminal charges in the future once the emergency has subsided.
- Pepper Spray- Very effective, with the benefit of being temporary and not lethal. Pepper spray will stop most attackers for a bit, allowing enough time to escape or attack back. Since pepper spray is not lethal, there are far less consequences should there be an investigation after the fact.
- Knife- Although not as effective as a gun, a knife can still be a useful weapon to stop an attacker. A knife can be easily concealed and is legal almost everywhere. The downside to a knife is that you have to be close to use it.
- Taser- A taser is a favorite weapon due to its deterrent factor. The sound and appeal of the crack of a taser may scare a criminal, along with the shock stunning them for a limited time. Although you have to get close, when it is used properly it can give you a couple second lead to get help or run.
- Any item within reach- Not every self defense item has to be a weapon, hitting an attacker with anything will get the job done. Anything that can injure the attacker would work.
Remember, the best thing to avoid a fight is to try and not get involved in a tense situation and stay clear of hostile people. If its impossible to remain uninvolved, then have something nearby to help you survive an attack.