There have been quite a few articles in the past couple months about North Korea and there missile tests and launches. Although they have been monitored and assessed by countries all around the world, this suspected test is causing greater alarm than the others have. As of this morning (5/30/16) Japan and South Korea have put their military on high alert in regards to a potential ballistic missile test. Japan has prepared all of their anti-missile weapons and have put their soldiers on stand by. South Korea is doing the same, with both of them suspecting a missile test in the future. Although this doesn’t mean that anything will happen, its important to understand the dangers of stopping a missile high above the ground. These are the 3 biggest problems with the explosion above the ground:
- EMP- With a high altitude explosion, the risk for an EMP is great, eliminating power over North Korea, South Korea, and Japan at the very least. Their military gear may or may not be prepared against an EMP, which could cause preventing another missile from being stopped from North Korea.
- Radiation- Although this might not be as bad if it was detonated a considerable distance up, some radiation would still hit below the explosion site and maybe be carried by the wind a bit.
- Reaction by other countries- Other countries may fire their own missiles, thinking that there is a full scale attack in progress. This would accelerate the radiation and EMP range significantly.
Most likely what will happen is that North Korea will test a missile on their own ground and will be further cut off from the rest of the world. This will be seen as aggression by the rest of the world and will result in more sanctions and peace talks. It seems like North Korea is testing their weapons for a reason, rather its defense or offense is unknown. The best way to stay prepared is by:
- Visiting news websites- Its important to visit news websites once a day to stay current on what’s going on in the world. A couple good ones that I check everyday Reuters, New York Times, and CNN. There are a plethora of other news websites out there, so pick the one that appeals best to you.
- Listen to the radio- Listening to the radio can be good to get an explanation of the news that’s currently happening. A lot of these people will discuss them in detail, giving multiple views/opinions of what’s going on. Also, a radio can be good to warn you about news and dangerous weather up ahead.
- Emergency Kit- It seems like this is mentioned every article, but the importance of having an emergency kit is huge. This kit could mean the difference between life and death and could give you that last piece of gear you need to stay safe, rather it be physically or mentally. Also having a family plan for meeting and escape can be just as important.
Below are some links to the North Korea missile article, check it out and see for yourself!