In order to best create an emergency kit and an emergency plan, its important to have a general idea of what to prepare for. There are hundreds of scenarios that could occur that would cause great damage and loss of life, warranting the use of survival skills and gear. Its impossible to prepare for all of these things at once, but by preparing for a few large ones, you might indirectly be ready for some smaller emergencies. Below are the 5 most likely and realistic scenarios to occur in the near future:
- Natural disasters- Natural disasters occur all the time, with one most recently striking the asian continent. The earthquakes that hit those areas killed several and destroyed millions of dollars of property. Ecuador was also hit recently, causing food shortages and millions being stranded and needing of help. Other examples of natural disasters could be hurricanes, tornados, or wildfires, which on a large scale could cause unimaginable damage
- EMP/Electrical Grid Failure- An electro magnetic pulse or the failure of the power grid could be a possibility. An EMP could come from the sun or from the detonation of a bomb very high above the country. This would result in the loss of about 70-90 percent of the United States population in about a year. Without power and electronic devices, food transportation would stop along with lifesaving medical devices in hospitals.
- Government Collapse/Civil Unrest- Civil unrest due to controversial subjects and protests, or increased economic hardships causing banks to fail. The government collapsing could lead to food shortages and widespread panic and lawlessness.
- War/Terrorist Attacks- With a plethora of weapons existing, a war would be extremely damaging for anyone involved. Should certain bombs strike important areas such as DC, it could take months to restore everything back to normal.
- Pandemic- This one of the more likely situations that could occur due to the world being so connected. With past threats such as Ebola and currents threats such as the Zika virus, its clear how damaging this could be. With a virus that spreads as fast and widespread as the flu with the mortality rate of smallpox, a pandemic situation would occur fairly easily.
These situations are the ones that we perceive as most realistic to occur. Zombies and alien invasions are interesting, but will never happen.