Food and Water
Food and water are extremely important for survival and basic everyday activities. Without food, most people can survive 3 or 4 weeks depending on the person and situation. Without water, most people can only make it 3 or 4 days before dying from dehydration. Since food and water can be large and heavy, the following list will help with some food and water ideas:
- Peanut Butter- Peanut butter is extremely calorie dense. This means that only a couple table spoons of peanut butter can be a couple hundred calories. Also, since peanut butter is so dense, small packets can be bought at the store that aren’t very heavy to carry.
- Emergency Food Bar- These can be found at many places and are the most valuable food to carry. Depending on the brand, these bars are small, last years, and are packed with vitamins to help ensure survival and energy. The downside to these is that they can be on the heavy side.
- Trail Mix- trail mix is another food that’s high up in calories and easy to carry around. It can also be bought in large quantities and put into baggies. Trail mix that has peanuts is also important because they add much needed calories.
TIP: Carry food that’s lighter as long as it has enough calories. Freeze dried foods are great because they only need hot water to use and they are extremely light.
- Water bottle- Always carry a couple water bottles with you until you find some water. Water bottles are cheap to buy and can fit in a backpack pocket or similar area. The only downside is that water can be a bit heavy.
- Water purification pills- These can safely disinfect a large amount of water that is questionable to drink. Not much downside to these. They are also cheap and are the size of a pill bottle.
- Water purification bottle- These bottles are perfect because they are small and can filer hundreds of gallons each. Perfect for drinking lake or river water when in the woods. Since there are so many options available, the best thing to look at is how many gallons of water its rated to filter.
TIP: Boiling water is always a 100 percent way to kill germs. The downside to this is bringing a pot, but its a sure way to make water safe.